Intermittent Fasting + Keto = More Weight Loss?
Intermittent fasting (or IF) has become a popular way for people to lose weight and improve their health.
When combined with a ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting can be an effective way to accelerate weight loss and improve overall health.
Potential Health Benefits of IF + Keto
- Increased weight loss - IF can help boost weight loss by increasing the amount of time your body spends in ketosis. By restricting your eating to a certain time window, you can naturally reduce your calorie intake, which can lead to weight loss.
- Improved insulin sensitivity - IF has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity, which can help lower blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
Increased mental clarity - IF can improve mental clarity and focus by reducing the amount of time your body spends digesting food, allowing it to focus on other functions.
Reduced inflammation - IF has been shown to reduce inflammation in the body, which can help improve overall health and prevent chronic diseases.
How to do Intermittent Fasting on Keto
1. Choose a fasting window that works for you
The number of hours you should intermittent fast on a keto diet will depend on your individual needs and goals.
Some common intermittent fasting schedules include:
- The 16/8 method: This involves fasting for 16 hours and eating all your meals within an 8-hour window. For example, you could eat from noon to 8 pm and fast from 8 pm to noon the next day.
- The 5:2 diet: This involves eating normally for 5 days per week, and restricting your calories to 500-600 per day for the other 2 days. This can help you achieve a calorie deficit and promote weight loss.
- The one-meal-a-day (OMAD) diet: This involves eating one large meal per day, and fasting for the remaining 23 hours. This can be a very restrictive diet and may not be suitable for everyone.
2. Start slowly
Don't try to jump into a 16/8 fasting schedule right away.
Instead, start by fasting for 12 hours at a time and gradually increase the length of your fasts.
3. Drink plenty of water
Staying hydrated is important while fasting, so make sure to drink plenty of water during your eating window.
You can also drink unsweetened coffee or tea, as long as you don't add any sugar or cream.
4. Eat plenty of healthy fats
The keto diet is high in healthy fats, and this is especially important during your eating window.
5. Avoid snacking
It can be tempting to snack during your fasting period, but try to resist the urge.
Snacking can interfere with the benefits of intermittent fasting, so it's best to stick to your designated eating window.
6. Listen to your body
While you are doing intermittent fasting on a ketogenic diet, it's important to listen to your body and pay attention to your hunger and satiety cues.
If you are feeling hungry or uncomfortable while you are fasting, you can break your fast early and have a small, keto-friendly meal or snack.
In conclusion, intermittent fasting can be an effective way to lose weight and improve your overall health, especially when combined with a ketogenic diet.
By alternating between periods of eating and fasting, you can speed up weight loss and lower your risk of chronic diseases.
Just be sure to start slowly and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.